Saturday, February 7, 2009

Showering: A Task That Seemed Simple Enough


This won't be a long post, but I would like to share my experience at the mall, an attempt to shower, and the wonderful day I had today. 

Since I've decided to join a gym, I decided I needed workout pants. I saw an advertisement in the newspaper for a sale and showed the girls (my host family). So yesterday Margo and Marina (the two who don't speak English) took me to the mall. It was like  TJ Maxx in mall form, plus a grocery store. In the store, a man immediately began following us around. Apparently this is normal. I tried on some pairs of pants and it was incredibly difficult to communicate to this man which pairs fit and which pairs I did not like. 

Finally we left and continued shopping... Clearly Marina and Margo had other motives for going to the mall. As we shopped, they seemed to look at and touch every item we passed, and then argue with one another over whether or not they needed it. It was amusing at first, but became excruciating and slightly embarrassing. Among items purchased at the grocery store: digestive biscuits (which, oddly enough, I find delicious) and adult diapers. One of my favorite things about the mall was the store that sold burkas for Muslim women next to Madam Lingerie whose window displayed such items I haven't even seen in the US. 

So that evening I attempted to shower. The sprayer points almost directly upward and is removable but impossible to use without drenching the entire bathroom. Which I did. However, after I got out of the shower, I noticed that the floor was wet in places that could not have been reached by the sprayer... So there had obviously been some kind of flood. The girls dealt with it while I was out today, so hopefully that's the first and last shower fiasco. 

Today I went with Patricia, Marcella (who lives next door) and Amani to the Roman Amphitheatre in downtown Amman. It was incredible and we spent a long time there (see photos). Nearby there is also a temple built for Hercules, so we went there too. Then we had lunch downtown and met some other friends for coffee in a shop that overlooks the busy streets. It was all-in-all a perfect day. Tomorrow classes start... We will be spending a lot of time in class so I'm hoping it doesn't cut too much into exploration time. Also, the trip to Petra is this weekend and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Ok so it has been confirmed by my children that I am a DORK for adding my comments on your blog- I guess everyone else has your email address.....sorry. But I have to tell you that I really am enjoying your commentary, I have been laughing at your descriptions. I am sure that not every minute is fun, but you've got to see the bright side, right? Anyway, keep having fun and hold out for more than a chicken.

    ReplyDelete